The Best Shampoos For Curly Hair
The Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo hydrates and restores moisture levels, leaving your hair with a soft and beautiful texture.
16 Best Shampoos for Curly Hair in 2023
When you’re shopping for shampoo, it’s easy to grab any over-the-counter option or pick one at random. However, with so many shampoo products available for natural hair, it’s important to consider factors such as hair texture, needs, and curl type to find the right shampoo for your hair.
This is especially true for curly hair, which requires different styling techniques, gentle care, and the right shampoo. To help you on your curly hair journey, we’ve compiled a list of the best shampoos to try and provided some factors to consider before making a purchase.
5 Things To Consider Before Choosing A Shampoo
Although there are many resources online about shampoos, it is important to note that what works for one curly hair may not work for another. With that in mind, here are five things you need to consider before choosing a shampoo for your hair.
1. Your Hair Needs Moisture
The most important factor to consider for your hair is moisture. Your shampoo should have water as one of its main ingredients. This is what your hair needs the most to stay hydrated after each wash.
2. Avoid Sulfates
Sulfates are harmful to natural hair. They contain bonds that strip away moisture from your hair, leaving it frizzy, dry, and brittle. It is recommended to opt for sulfate-free shampoos that are gentler on the hair and scalp.
3. Be Specific About Your Hair Needs
Each person’s hair is unique and has different needs. Before getting a shampoo, identify your hair’s specific needs. Is it dry and brittle? If so, your hair may need more moisture. In that case, use a moisturizing shampoo for dry hair.
4. Ability to Detangle
Detangling can be a struggle during wash days. To make your wash days easier, consider purchasing shampoos that contain detangling ingredients.
5. Is Your Hair Dyed?
If your hair is dyed, you should use no suds shampoos. These shampoos remove buildup in your hair without foaming, which helps maintain the dye’s color even after washing.
16 Best Shampoos for Curly Hair
If you have curly hair, here are some natural hair shampoos to consider adding to your shopping list.
1. Garnier Fructis Curl Nourish Shampoo
The Garnier Fructis Curl Nourish Shampoo claims to protect hair during aggressive heat styling up to 446 degrees and give hair a thicker volume.
2 Honest Reviews of the Garnier Fructis Curl Nourish Shampoo
- I have wavy hair, but this shampoo actually gave me curls! I love it; I won’t use anything else now. – J on Amazon
- If you have curly hair, try this product. After just one shampoo and conditioning, my curls had more definition and less frizz. The leave-in conditioner is great too. It really moisturizes and defines my curls, making them look great. Highly recommended for natural hair.. – Joni on Amazon
2. Blueberry Hair Wash
The Blueberry Hair Wash claims to soften the driest kinks and hydrate the driest curls.
2 Honest Reviews of the Blueberry Hair Wash
- This lovely cleanser is the first non-sulfate shampoo that I’ve enjoyed. If you’re looking for a non-sulfate shampoo that effectively cleans your hair and scalp, give this one a try. It’s nice and creamy, with a pleasant fragrance. – Laurel on Amazon
- I love this hair wash! It smells great, moisturizes my curls, and makes my hair soft and easy to detangle. It works well with my 4B/4C hair and is a go-to product for me. Plus, it smells lovely – Lark on Amazon
3. DevaCurl No-Poo Original Zero Lather Conditioning Cleanser
The DevaCurl No-Poo Original Zero Lather Conditioning Cleanser stimulates and cleanses the scalp and hair while preserving the natural oils in your curls.
2 Honest Reviews of the DevaCurl No-Poo Original Zero Lather Conditioning Cleanser
- I’ve been using No-Poo for 6 years and it’s still the best for my super curly, color-treated hair. Regular shampoo makes my hair feel stuck together and dry, but No-Poo changes that. I comb my hair with a wide-tooth comb while leaving the conditioner on, then rinse while combing. Don’t comb after that, or you’ll mess up the curl pattern and have lifeless curls.- Nate on Amazon
- DevaCurl No-Poo works well for my wavy hair and has a pleasant scent. I’ve used it for 9 months with other DevaCurl products like conditioner and styling cream. I also use a microfiber towel to scrunch my curls, which has been beneficial for my curly hair. – Sandi on Amazon
4. Redken Curvaceous High Foam Lightweight Shampoo
Redken Curvaceous High Foam Lightweight Shampoo strengthens, moisturizes, and reactivates hair shape to increase manageability, frizz control, and shine.
2 Honest Reviews of the Redken Curvaceous High Foam Lightweight Shampoo
- Love this! I use this for my curls with the Redken curvaceous curl creme. It leaves my hair soft and bouncy, even in humid conditions. I use it with my diffuser attachment to protect against heat damage. It’s definitely worth the price for anyone with curls! – McLane on Amazon
- This product gives me lots of curls without much effort. I simply wash my hair, apply the product, scrunch a bit, and I’m good to go. I always get compliments when I use it. – Hansen on Amazon
5. Essentials Daily Clarifying Shampoo
The Essentials Daily Clarifying Shampoo claims to cleanse your scalp while preserving the natural nutrients in your kinky curls.
2 Honest Reviews of the Essentials Daily Clarifying Shampoo
- I can’t say enough good things about this product, especially the shampoo. I have super oily, fine hair, but this shampoo manages to clean my scalp and hair without over-drying or making it feel like straw. The conditioner is also effective, and the price is unbeatable. Highly recommend! – Jennifer on Amazon
- I have found I can not use any thing but this makes my hair soft no oily build up washes out clean. My hair loves it, I love it. – Wonda on Amazon
6. OUIDAD Advanced Climate Control Defrizzing Shampoo
The OUIDAD Advanced Climate Control Defrizzing Shampoo claims to moisturize hair and restore curls to back to life.
2 Honest Reviews of the OUIDAD Advanced Climate Control Defrizzing Shampoo
- Best hair products I have found for my curly frizzy hair. Summer humidity is a killer on my hair. This keeps it under control. RM on Amazon
- My daughter’s hair is naturally curly, and finding a product to keep her curls smooth has been a challenge. This product does great on her hair and smells nice too. – BusyMom on Amazon
7. Briogeo Curl Charisma Rice Amino + Avocado Hydrating Shampoo
The Briogeo Curl Charisma Rice Amino + Avocado Hydrating Shampoo is claimed to soften, smooth, and enhance kinky curls..
2 Honest Reviews of the Briogeo Curl Charisma Rice Amino + Avocado Hydrating Shampoo
- This curl-amplifying shampoo is amazing! It smells great and made my curls bouncy. It out-performs other shampoos I’ve tried, like Matrix, and Big Sexy Hair. It’s my new go-to shampoo! – Savana on Amazon
- I have curly hair, which is dry on the bottom, oily on top. I used the shampoo, and my curls were bouncy and pretty. I’m a nurse, and the light scent was great, no complaints. – Lisa on Amazon
8. Malibu C Un-Do-Goo pH Shampoo
The Malibu C Un-Do-Goo pH Shampoo claims to remove product build-ups and restore shine to your curls.
2 Honest Reviews of the Malibu C Un-Do-Goo
- The bottle always lasts me about a whole year, clarifying my hair every two weeks. I have 3C/4A curly hair, and this stuff works wonders without stripping my hair of all its moisture – Customer on Amazon.
- I have curly hair and this is the best clarifying shampoo I’ve used. It foams up delightfully, cleans thoroughly, and takes care of the buildup on my scalp without interfering with my curl pattern or routine. I will continue to use this product for a long time. – Hambalonie on Amazon
9. SheaMoisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and Shine Shampoo
SheaMoisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and Shine Shampoo moisturizes, reduces frizz, smoothens curly hair, and gives a soft, silky feel and bouncy curls.
2 Honest Reviews of SheaMoisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and Shine Shampoo
- This shampoo is amazing for curly hair! It cleanses without stripping natural oils, has a paraben-free formula with coconut and hibiscus that makes curls shiny and bouncy. A little goes a long way with the 13 oz size. It reduces frizz and breakage, making styling easier. Suitable for all curl types, it’s a game-changer for healthy-looking curls. Highly recommended! – Bishal on Amazon
- I’ve been using SheaMoisture Shampoo for a month and it’s nice. My hair is naturally straight and Asian, but I recently got a perm, so it’s wavier now. I use the shampoo and conditioner combo every 3 days and it works pretty well. I think it makes my hair curlier than regular shampoo. – Jacky on Amazon
10. Leonor Greyl Paris Shampooing Creme Moelle de Bambou
Leonor Greyl Paris’ Shampooing Creme Moelle de Bambou contains natural bamboo marrow and silk proteins that nourish and strengthen hair. It gently cleanses curly hair, leaving hair soft and shiny.
2 Honest Reviews of Leonor Greyl Paris’ Shampooing Creme Moelle de Bambou
- This product is amazing! It helped my damaged hair, which was breaking off from coloring, sun, and wind. After using it once, my hair felt less dry and stopped breaking. I now use their shampoo, conditioner, heat protectant, and pre-shampoo treatment for dry hair. I love Leonor Greyl!- Rebecca on Amazon
- Got compliments from my hairstylist and friends on how healthy and shiny my hair looks. I definitely see less hair fall compared to before. I didn’t even use any hair conditioner. – Vivian on Amazon
11. Kinky Curly Come Clean Natural Moisturizing Shampoo
The Kinky Curly Come Clean Natural Moisturizing Shampoo claims to clean your hair and scalp of dulling buildups.
2 Honest Reviews of the Kinky Curly Come Clean Natural Moisturizing Shampoo
- This product is irreplaceable for me. It’s the only shampoo that makes my frizzy curls feel silky and smooth. It removes all product buildup and leaves my hair feeling clean and soft. It’s my holy grail – I hope to always have it around. – A.S on Amazon
- I love Kinky-Curly products, especially this shampoo. It doesn’t contain protein or silicones, which makes it ideal for fine hair that’s prone to protein buildup. I use it once a week to combat hard water stiffness and to cleanse my scalp. However, it can be drying, so I always follow up with a deep conditioner. – Meme of Amazon
12. Redken Clean Maniac Hair Cleansing Cream Clarifying Shampoo
Redken Clean Maniac Hair Cleansing Cream Clarifying Shampoo claims to clean your hair of product build-ups and instantly refreshes your hair in just one use.
2 Honest Reviews of the Redken Clean Maniac Hair Cleansing Cream Clarifying Shampoo
- This shampoo is amazing! I have well water which made my hair dull, heavy and with rusty undertones. This shampoo removed all the residue, and made my hair shine with bounce and flexibility. It’s worth the price. – Eloiza on Amazon
- I have used this shampoo for years and it’s great. During summer, I use it once a week to avoid chlorine build-up/green hair. Rest of the year, I use it once a month to remove build-up/copper from shower water. I scrub it in and leave it for 5-10 minutes. It cleanses and detoxes my hair effectively. – Shalom on Amazon
13. CurlFriends Cleanse Daily Shampoo
The CurlFriends Cleanse Daily Shampoo claims to soften and free your hair from frizz.
2 Honest Reviews of the CurlFriends Cleanse Daily Shampoo
- I’ve used Curlfriends for 15 years and it tames my frizzy, curly hair. Despite health issues, including malabsorption, thyroid problems, and chemotherapy, my hair remains healthy. Whenever I go to the salon, people ask me what I use. I recommend Curlfriends to anyone with health issues who wants to keep their hair healthy.- Jane – Amazon
- Following the Curly Girl Method, I discovered that my hair type is 2B waves. To keep my hair soft and manageable, I use Curlfriends, which is silicone-free and on the list of approved products for my hair type. It works well without weighing down my hair, and I highly recommend it to anyone with wavy or curly hair! – KG on Amazon
14. Argan Shampoo for Dry Damaged Hair
The product claim for the Argan Shampoo for Dry Damaged Hair is that it gives your hair a healthy boost of shine, moisture, and relieves your hair from frizz.
2 Honest Reviews of the Argan Shampoo for Dry Damaged Hair
- I have thick, curly hair that is unique in my family. Learning to take care of it has been a long process, but after over 10 years of experimenting, I discovered Argan. It tames frizz and keeps my curls moisturized all day, making my hair regimen easy. I always keep a bottle on hand to ensure I never run out. It’s helped me maintain gorgeous curls, and that feels great! – Collin on Amazon
- This shampoo works great for my naturally curly hair. I pair it with either Tea Tree or Silk 18 conditioner from Maple Holistics. It leaves my hair soft and manageable while also effectively treating my dandruff. I highly recommend this product for those with a flaky scalp who have struggled to find a solution with other popular name brand dandruff shampoos. – Karrie on Amazon
15. Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo
The Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo hydrates and restores moisture levels, leaving your hair with a soft and beautiful texture.
2 Honest Reviews of the Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo
- Ordered this set on my niece’s recommendation and I’m glad I did. The shampoo and conditioner are thick, so a little goes a long way. There’s no strong scent, but it’s fresh. My thin, curly hair looks thicker and curlier with these products. Highly recommend! – M on Amazon
- I used to have frizzy hair, but now I don’t thanks to this product. My hair is semi-thick and wavy, and I live in a hot and humid area. After using this product, my hair felt smoother and my frizz reduced significantly. However, it does make my waves look semi-straight, which I don’t love. Despite that, I still use it as my go-to shampoo. – Lovesbeat – Amazon
16. L’Oreal Paris EverCurl Sulfate Free Shampoo
The L’Oreal Paris EverCurl Sulfate Free Shampoo is a gentle, anti-frizz formula that won’t strip your hair or dull its color. It provides deep moisture, delivering up to 48 hours of curl definition and hydration for soft, manageable curls.
2 Honest Reviews of L’Oreal Paris EverCurl Sulfate Free Shampoo
- I looked for recommended shampoos for thick, curly hair after the one I used to use became unavailable in my local stores. EverCurl was my first choice and I prefer it. It requires less amount to work through my thick hair and my hair feels less dry than the previous shampoo I used. – Tweety – Amazon
- This shampoo is good for damaged or chemically treated hair. It doesn’t lather like most shampoos, but that’s not a big issue. Mixing it with a purple toning shampoo prevents the harsh drying effect that many people experience. – K.Lee – Amazon
There you have it! 16 best shampoos for curly hair that you can try. Which one would you go for? Remember, the right shampoo can make all the difference in achieving healthy, beautiful curls.
The Best Shampoos For Curly Hair
Every time I go back home, my grandpa asks me if I got a perm while I was in New York. He’s half-joking, half-serious—and if you ever see me around Lafayette Street, you might ask the same thing. For a long time I kept it short, shampooed it every day, combed it every morning in a very specific way conducive to straightness. I had a routine. Now I’ve got a new one which involves NO combs, very little shampooing, and always air-drying. These days, I’m partial to the curl. But leaning into my natural texture also saves me a ton of time each morning. Win, win.
Of course, nothing gold can stay and the no-shampooing thing quickly caught up to me. I realized my scalp is too oily to not wash it regularly. So I tried co-washing, but my shampoo, like my face wash, has to leave me squeaky clean or else I fear it’s not working. The dream is a wash that lasts a few days—something that doesn’t strip my curls of their natural volume, but keeps my scalp happy. Recently I’ve moved onto a steady routine of washing every two days, following immediately with hair oil and, in dire moments, calling up my dermatologist for a refill of the clobetasol she prescribed me a year ago. I’d love to stick to a routine, but alas, I work for a beauty website. One shampoo-conditioner set isn’t going to keep me fulfilled, so I gotta shop around. Here are the few currently making rotations through my shower:
My first love: Rene Furterer Karité Nourishing Shampoo
Emily Ferber gave me this two years ago and told me to try it. I didn’t want to but I did, and I fell in love. It’s just the right amount of moisture—the conditioner isn’t too thick but I usually use it with the matching leave-in and for messy, not shiny curl. Rule of thumb: When you want a non-drying shampoo that still gets the job done, go for anything that labels itself as “intensely nourishing” or for “dry, damaged hair.”
My favorite smell: Davines Love Curl Shampoo
Another very hydrating choice. Whenever Davines appears in our office, I’m like a vacuum, sucking up every last drop in sight—the scents and the packaging are just too good. It’s fitting that the scent I like best is the one for my hair type. (And I’ve tried ’em all.) If you’ve ever smelled Eau de Bonpoint, this is similar: clean with a hint of neroli. The matching conditioner is extremely intense and thick like vaseline. It requires some muscle to rinse it out, but in the end, you’ve got perfect third day hair.
Everybody’s choice: Devacurl Low-Poo
You probably saw this one coming—the de facto co-wash from the hair line that put curl care on the map. This delivers Botticelli texture every time. It’s the most hydrating on this list, so I reserve it for the winter when my hair is bone dry, otherwise my scalp does not agree. Follow-up conditioner need not apply.
My grocery list: Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is magic. It regulates your tummy, tightens your pores, and apparently, it’s good for cleansing your scalp too. I started using this when my scalp pores got clogged in-between shampoos as a kind of pre-wash treatment. Yes, the smell is a bit odd, but it functions sort of like a face wipe, cleansing and toning before you go in with something stronger. The smell will wash out, promise.
Some people yearn for youthful skin, and that’s fine and all, but right now, I just want the hair I didn’t let myself have when I was a kid. My hair-spiration is my six year-old nephew Ryan, who has this giant head of curls—more Jim Morrison than Shirley Temple, which is a look I’m very into.
Photographed by the author.
The deep clean: the very best in clarifying shampoos over here.