A number of local initiatives will be delivered across the state as the NDIS is rolled out in Queensland, which will provide local solutions for local needs. These initiatives will:
- Provide local level stakeholder engagement and coordination
- Develop new relationships to support new worker entry
- Provide new insights, ideas, ways of understanding and solving local problems and understanding where opportunities lie at a local level
- Establish local working groups
- Local workforce initiatives will be delivered in 14 regions across the state as the NDIS is rolled out in Queensland from 2016 to 2019.
Regional initiatives and resources:
- Brisbane NDIS region
- Bundaberg and Wide Bay Burnett NDIS region
- Central Queensland NDIS region
- Far North Queensland NDIS region
- Gold Coast NDIS region
- Ipswich, Lockyer Valley, Scenic Rim and Somerset NDIS region
- Logan Redlands NDIS region
- Whitsunday, Isaac and Mackay NDIS region
- Moreton Bay NDIS region
- North Queensland NDIS region
- South West Queensland NDIS region
- Sunshine Coast NDIS region
New Entrant Engagement
A number of new entrant engagement opportunities will take place regionally to promote the NDIS to job seekers, career changers and students as the NDIS is rolled out across the state. These engagement opportunities will help to increase the supply of the workers in the disability services sector, where and when it is needed.
This engagement will be targeted at specific populations including high school students, job seekers, tertiary students, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander workers, CALD workers, people with a disability and carers.
Where possible and practical this work will be done collaboratively with the appropriate local stakeholders and existing programs and projects.
NDIS Working Groups
Local working groups will be formed in each region in line with the roll out timetable identified in the NDIS rollout for Queensland.
These working groups will include stakeholders interested in making a contribution to ensuring the workforce meets the requirements and needs of people with a disability, their carers and families.
Local working group members will work together to help to manage the supply of the disability sector workforce in their region by identifying the priorities, and developing and implementing locally appropriate and responsive strategies to support the transition and implementation of the NDIS.
Local Leadership and Coordination
A Place Based Coordinator will be appointed in each region to lead local work and network with service providers and workers on the ground.
Local Workforce Plan
Local Workforce Plans provide a local blueprint for action on workforce priorities for each region in Queensland. The plans are developed by local working groups who work together in identifying local issues, setting priorities for action and outlining place based supply, capability and utilisation initiatives to support the region in having the right people, with the right skills, in the right place, at the right time to support the implementation of the NDIS in the region.
Click here to access the North Queensland NDIS Workforce Action Plan.
Workforce development activities will be held in each region that will respond to identified local needs that have been prioritised in the Local Workforce Plan. These workforce development activities will help to build the capability and capacity of workers to respond to the consumer demand as a result of the rollout of the NDIS in Queensland.